Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I fail the Assistant Hunting Guide Exam?
You will not receive your Assistant Hunting Guide Certification. You may retry but after three unsuccessful attempts you will be required to pay again.
Is anyone "Grandfathered" and not required to take this competency exam?
No. All who wish to guide for big game in British Columnbia must pass this exam.
Is there an age requirement for the exam?
Yes. You must be 18 years of age to write the exam.
When I click on the link for the study guide nothing happens, or a black screen appears. Why?
Your internet browser may not be set to allow the viewing of PDFs. Click the "back" button, then right click on the link for the study guide, then click "Save Target As". The study guide will be downloaded to your computer. You may then open the file with Adobe Acrobat or a similar PDF reader.
May I take the exam on my iPad, tablet, or other mobile device instead of a PC or Mac?
The website has been tested with the latest versions of the following browsers: Edge, Mozilla's Firefox, Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari. It is compatible with these browsers when using a PC or Mac. Compatibility with other devices has been accommodated to the best of our ability.
How long is my Assistant Hunting Guide Certification Card valid?
Your certification DOES NOT expire but the information on the card does. You can renew your card online through the website. You are not required to renew your Assistant Hunting Guide ID card. Your HG number remains the same and does not expire. Renewing your Assistant Hunting Guide ID card is completely optional. The cost to renew your card is $50 plus GST. You will also be able to submit a newer photo and update your contact information if needed.
Is my Assistant Hunting Guide Certification Card valid in other jurisdictions?
No. Your Assistant Hunting Guide Certification Card is only valid in British Columbia.
Is a photograph mandatory?
No. The photograph is optional.
Once I have my Assistant Hunting Guide Certification Number, can I guide anywhere in BC?
Yes. You are not restricted to a region, but you must be employed by a licenced guide outfitter. Your employing licenced guide outfitter will provide written authorization. It is unlawful to guide hunters without a written authorization. NOTE: If you are a non-resident of Canada, you MUST have the proper work permit or VISA to allow you to work in Canada.
How many outfitters can I work for at one time?
You can work for as many BC outfitters at one time as you want. You will need to ensure you carry the appropriate written authorization and a government-issued photo ID with you while guiding.
How can I find employment as an assistant hunting guide?
    The Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia (GOABC) has two tools to help you find a job.
    At you are able to submit your information for our members to review.
    You are able to browse Help Wanted posted by GOABC members at,
What happens if I lose my Assistant Hunting Guide Certification Card?
Replacement cards are available for $50 CAD plus GST. To order your replacement card please log into the exam website.
What is the Privacy Policy of the Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia?
May I receive a refund after submitting payment for the exam?
The fee is non-refundable. A copy of the GOABC's Refund Policy viewed at The GOABC's Refund Policy.
Useful Links
Where to next?